Friday, March 11, 2011

Same but Different

Growing up in a household of three sisters, WE were always targets for comparison.

It happens in all families. However, comparisons are less avoidable when siblings are of the same gender or when the age gap between them is smaller. And that's because the pressure of measuring up is even greater.

Fortunately, our love for each other as sisters have always tempered triggers for rivalry. Admittedly, there were moments of uncertainty - usually a result of the not-ill-intentioned but careless quip from someone around (our parents, in particular). Perhaps being girls, (not arguably the more mature of the sexes), we were able to keep things in perspective as we grew up. What induced comfort despite unwelcome triggers was the fact that the three of us were intensely loyal to each other for a number of reasons. For one, we were collectively united against the strict upbringing that was sometimes a 'pain' in the butt - literally. For now, let's just say that it helps to have a common enemy in one or both of your parents! LOL. This was in spite of the fact that we also loved our parents dearly and would not tolerate disrespect to them. Women are walking contradictions and models of humanity :)
Ashwini, Mira and ME :)

Well, how has all this prepared me for mothering two girls without prejudice against the other? I cannot remember the number of friends who were curious to know if I have a favourite. Well, the same question in interesting variations come from my daugthers - sometimes in insinuating statements.

How can I be accused of favouritism? There were some friends who told me that parents WILL have a favourite. I cannot agree.

I love both of of my daughters - equally. They evoke the same gush of feeling from my heart - albeit at different times of the day and sometimes at the same time, when they are together and angelic. Given the fact that they were not born concurrently, my elder one, Ashwini, occasionally reminisces the times when she was the centre of her parents' life and contrasts that now, when she has to share that attention with Mira. Mira on the other hand, will never know what it is like to be the sole recepient of her parents' love. After all, from the time she was born, she'd had to share her parents' love with Ashwini. This means having different rules - to be fair to each of their developmental state. And of course, both of them have issues with nature's law - which cannot be fair in their little eyes. A parent can only continue to explain and hope that as their bond grows and as their relationships with their friends develop, their entired sense of being accepted gets moderated by other lessons in life - outside the home.

A mother cannot choose between her children. Each one is special and shares a unique bond with her. I now have a one-month old son whom I adore (I mean, he's a baby!!!) but I am not surprised that my feelings for my daughters has only strengthened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About My Little Family

I have three beautiful children who mean the world to me - Ashwini (13), Mira (11) and Dev (5).

Ashwini is an amazing gal. She is a 'thinker' - through and through. She started talking and walking early - before she turned one. She has an impressive vocabulary and is very observant, has a great sense of spatial awareness (she's a walking compass and rarely gets lost) and has a rational way of looking at things (even what she watches on the TV). She showers me with so much love that it makes me feel guilty for not being with her enough. (I wish she could shower her sister with half of that affection she bestows on me. But with sibling rivalry as an unavoidable reality at five years of age, that's asking for the world.)

Ashwini is a busy child with an assortment of learning to juggle - swimming, gym, speech & drama and Tamil language. She has just given up piano and is considering Bharatanatyam (I'm not sure if she's going to take to that but if she does, we'll need to make let something else go 'cos it's the parents who cannot cope!) Of these, she loves speech & drama the most, followed by gym and swimming. Like all other children, she prefers less structure and would rather play at the pool than learn from an instructor! No guesses for what she rather not do:)

Mira is another bundle of joy who arrived in 2005 and I really wanted my second one to bring that extra to the family - the sense of completion - and companionship for Ashwini. And we could never have been more prepared. Armed with an independent spirit, charm and intelligence (as well as a slippery presence) as her arsenal, she has gotten into and out of trouble with sweet innocence. Our and Ashwini's life is indeed more complete - with all her little contributions to life - from stokng the fire to playing with fire and extinguishing the fire. Mira is one highly provocative, communicative and relational child. Mira's first learning will involve swimming, i.e., starting with getting to know water. The rest will be underway.

Dev, (Hari Dev as he is officially named), is the latest addition to the family. A milk guzzler, he's adorable and fun to get to know :) He loves singing and it does not matter what language it is - English, Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi and Chinese. He will pronounce sounds the way he 'hears' them but the tunes will be discernible. It's time he gets some vocal training, and yes, some swimming too cos he believes he can swim!

Mum & Dad's Big Day

Mum & Dad's Big Day
Wedding at Shivagiri 26 October 1966

My mum's family

My mum's family
Growing up in Vettoor, Varkala

About My Extended Family

Extended Family:



Most of my first extended family are in India.



My mother, Jija Bhai, is one of two daughters and one of eight children (yes, she has six brothers!) born to the late Madhavan and Lecthimy in Varkala, Kerala (S.India). The names of their children are in this order: (1)Balaji (passed on), (2)Rajaji, (3)Lalaji, (4)Rajan Babu (passed on), (5)Jija Bhai, (6)Anandha Bhai, (7)Sasi (works in Abu Dhabi) and (8)Chandran. All of my mother's siblings are married with families who in a general way of speaking, are still living in India. And I have many, many cousins whose names I hope to spell out in a family tree one day. I heard from Mummy that it was my second uncle, known as Manian Maaman who gave me my name.



My late father, Sathiya Sidhan (or Sathyaseelan as he was named; one of those things about inaccurate records), was the eldest of TEN children of Damodharan and Bhageerathy. Two of his brothers are in Singapore - Sambhasivan and Susheelan - married with two children each. The rest of his family are in India with the exception of my grandparents who have passed on.



My current extended family are all n Singapore.



My sister, Shanthi, is married to Murali who is an editor. Tara and Raul are their children and share a special bond with Ashwini and Mira. Tara and Ashwini are almost like sisters, having spent their early childhood in my mother's home when my sister and I were working in the day. Leena married Rajendran. They are the favourite Kukumma (oops! Elaiamma as Leena insists that she be termed) and Uncle of the all our children. There's some magic in the air each time they come by, and we are just happy to receive them.