Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Time Out from Teaching Means Time to Reflect on Teaching...

The Real Perks of the Management and Leadership in Schools (MLS) course for me... I miss my school, students and teachers but I cannot help but be thrilled. I have the luxury and privilege of being nominated for a fully-paid 4-month long training opportunity within Singapore (which means still living under the same roof as my loved ones and with access to resources within the school virtual network - all a click of a button away, besides the beckoning comfort of my workstation in school. )

Some of my course-mates were skeptical about the benefits of being at the course but I was ecstatic. I felt that we are a lucky bunch; I even wondered if there is another part of the world where you can be selected for training and be paid whilst at it.What could be better than having so much TIME to REFLECT - especially for a natural thinker like me? 

I was always feeling rushed to just deliver the 'goods' of teaching and sometimes, this was done without the adequate thought that was expected of the job. I mean besides being a curriculum gatekeeper (teacher), I am a curriculum leader (Level Head). Both the roles require decision-making based on sound educational principles. When the day-to-day concerns hit you, there is hardly the time to ponder about the 'curriculum' and being embroiled as a involved party with conflicting priorities and demands, it is virtually impossible to take a step back and look at the curriculum from outside the 'box' - objectively and critically.

At the MLS course, apart from the weekly learning journals, presentations, assignments, discussion forums and break-out sessions - all of which are expected to be supported by knowledge gained and re-created from the stimulus provided at lectures and the recommended readings, there are other really rejuvenating respites - like the regional and local school visits.

My team-mates and I have made contact with a number of secondary schools to dialogue with their curriculum leaders about their English programmes. The school we visited yesterday was a Centre of Excellence for English, Literature and Drama in the North Zone. The school had a well-integrated approach to the teaching of all of these three subjects and the key, in my view, was the school's teamwork and infrastructure support. Of course, the school had only one main stream which meant that curriculum leadership was less complex and so, deployment of teachers and their professional development could more streamlined. But the model was not wrong and can be applied to my/any school - if we focus on a single stream at a time and deployed our teachers more strategically. The learning was rich, not because they practised strategies vastly different from any of the five schools whose Heads were present and listening with interest but because the sharing affirmed aspects of our own belief systems and choices and also demonstrated the sound reasoning and work process that was embarked on to support the curriculum choices by the educators sharing snippets of their bread & butter with us. They had teachers who had to teach graduating classes in their second year of teaching (something that some of our schools look upon tentatively) but they rise to the occasion - not without coaching/mentoring and monitoring by team leader of the graduating classes. There was nothing as engaging or intriguing as the sharing by operational experts on curriculum matters because of the links between curriculum choices and unique school contexts. The three hours flew past, unnoticed and we still had questions.

I am looking forward to the rest of the school visits as well, and this being a practical aspect of the course, my team is keen to learn more through dialogues with practitioners rather than an over-reliance on theory. (not that readings have not been insightful; they are records of other educational researchers' practice and experiments and are short-cuts to discoveries about educational practices, etc.)

Cheers to learning and God give me the wisdom to make a difference in my own school when I return later this year. After all, my teachers and students deserve a better me after this wonderful recharging experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About My Little Family

I have three beautiful children who mean the world to me - Ashwini (13), Mira (11) and Dev (5).

Ashwini is an amazing gal. She is a 'thinker' - through and through. She started talking and walking early - before she turned one. She has an impressive vocabulary and is very observant, has a great sense of spatial awareness (she's a walking compass and rarely gets lost) and has a rational way of looking at things (even what she watches on the TV). She showers me with so much love that it makes me feel guilty for not being with her enough. (I wish she could shower her sister with half of that affection she bestows on me. But with sibling rivalry as an unavoidable reality at five years of age, that's asking for the world.)

Ashwini is a busy child with an assortment of learning to juggle - swimming, gym, speech & drama and Tamil language. She has just given up piano and is considering Bharatanatyam (I'm not sure if she's going to take to that but if she does, we'll need to make let something else go 'cos it's the parents who cannot cope!) Of these, she loves speech & drama the most, followed by gym and swimming. Like all other children, she prefers less structure and would rather play at the pool than learn from an instructor! No guesses for what she rather not do:)

Mira is another bundle of joy who arrived in 2005 and I really wanted my second one to bring that extra to the family - the sense of completion - and companionship for Ashwini. And we could never have been more prepared. Armed with an independent spirit, charm and intelligence (as well as a slippery presence) as her arsenal, she has gotten into and out of trouble with sweet innocence. Our and Ashwini's life is indeed more complete - with all her little contributions to life - from stokng the fire to playing with fire and extinguishing the fire. Mira is one highly provocative, communicative and relational child. Mira's first learning will involve swimming, i.e., starting with getting to know water. The rest will be underway.

Dev, (Hari Dev as he is officially named), is the latest addition to the family. A milk guzzler, he's adorable and fun to get to know :) He loves singing and it does not matter what language it is - English, Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi and Chinese. He will pronounce sounds the way he 'hears' them but the tunes will be discernible. It's time he gets some vocal training, and yes, some swimming too cos he believes he can swim!

Mum & Dad's Big Day

Mum & Dad's Big Day
Wedding at Shivagiri 26 October 1966

My mum's family

My mum's family
Growing up in Vettoor, Varkala

About My Extended Family

Extended Family:



Most of my first extended family are in India.



My mother, Jija Bhai, is one of two daughters and one of eight children (yes, she has six brothers!) born to the late Madhavan and Lecthimy in Varkala, Kerala (S.India). The names of their children are in this order: (1)Balaji (passed on), (2)Rajaji, (3)Lalaji, (4)Rajan Babu (passed on), (5)Jija Bhai, (6)Anandha Bhai, (7)Sasi (works in Abu Dhabi) and (8)Chandran. All of my mother's siblings are married with families who in a general way of speaking, are still living in India. And I have many, many cousins whose names I hope to spell out in a family tree one day. I heard from Mummy that it was my second uncle, known as Manian Maaman who gave me my name.



My late father, Sathiya Sidhan (or Sathyaseelan as he was named; one of those things about inaccurate records), was the eldest of TEN children of Damodharan and Bhageerathy. Two of his brothers are in Singapore - Sambhasivan and Susheelan - married with two children each. The rest of his family are in India with the exception of my grandparents who have passed on.



My current extended family are all n Singapore.



My sister, Shanthi, is married to Murali who is an editor. Tara and Raul are their children and share a special bond with Ashwini and Mira. Tara and Ashwini are almost like sisters, having spent their early childhood in my mother's home when my sister and I were working in the day. Leena married Rajendran. They are the favourite Kukumma (oops! Elaiamma as Leena insists that she be termed) and Uncle of the all our children. There's some magic in the air each time they come by, and we are just happy to receive them.