Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Perfect Story - The Perfect Child and Mother.

I can't believe that I post so infrequently. But then, I am so so so busy!!! Really, I am... Sigh.

Then again, I often wonder how other bloggers do it. Actually, the trouble is that I love crafting these entries so much, that I really spend too long on each one (when I finally get down to it, that is) . And for each entry, (if you had read the rest in this blog). you'd realise that I like to share one of my insights in life each time I post. No wonder I take so long to say my piece. I am a hopeless perfectionist, and you know what? So is my Ashwini.

Watching your child grow up is like watching your own growth, both as an individual and as a parent - symbiotically. What do I mean? One or more of your children sometimes inherit in their personalities, the same or echoes of the same strengths and weaknesses that you possess. As a parent, you may not see that clearly and even if you do, there is a tendency to quickly support the strength and help manage that weakness that you also share. And that's the difficult part - because you know how much that weakness has held you back (in your own struggles with growing up), you are anxious to pluck that weakness out of the existence of your 'perfect' child - at any cost. Ha. Ha. Ha. I mean, can one really do that? What does that say about your own sense of self-acceptance? And you can imagine the contagious effect of such an attitude on the anxiety of your 'perfect' child.

The test is always there, in one form or another. Ashwini brought home a CCA option form one day. I was fascinated that P1 students take CCA. My first thought was, 'What fun!'. Ashwini can learn something in her own school and make some friends outside of her class and Seniors at that. When I asked Ashwini about what she thought, she was quick to tell me that she did not want any CCA to do with Performing Arts (she's learning Bharathanatyam at SIFAS on Sundays) or sports (she's learning swimming every Saturday evening at APS school and used to learn gymnastics in preschool). She was also exposed to Speech & Drama.

Finally, she told me - quite decisively - that she would like either Science & Technology Club (which I secretly was not crazy about. Is it really fun?!) or Art Club
(Hmm OK, but..) . I listened to her. I must especially with Sreeni giving me that quizzical look in the background. Yes, the well-meaning father and the anxious mother. There's always that natural affliction in the combination which is God's way of taking care of the little ones in our care, I suppose.

The story only just began. When she was finally allotted the CCA (Yes, she was given Science & Technology Club), Ashwini decided that she will not go for CCA. She did not know what it would really entail and she had so many other things to do. She took the first bus home and that gave me a shock. She told me that she had no idea where to go and that she was afraid to ask around for help.
I felt my irritation mounting. I was impatient to pluck that sense of reluctance and fear out of her being so that she does not get held back by such inconsequential notions. This was the problem. I was just like Ashwini in my own youth. There was always a fear (of authoritative figures) and shyness holding me back. I was curious and always plagued by the tension between my curiosity and need for affirmation and friendship vs the fear of a bad experience and rejection.

Years of life experience has taught me how to manage my own fears better - not always perfectly. What more do I want from a 6-year-old? It took a lot of thinking and the will to do what she needs and not what I want - with the timely advice from my own mother to give Ashwini space to adjust to her new P1 life at her own pace - which finally brought me to my senses. I talked to Sreeni as well, besides having a few chats with Ashwini herself.

Ashwini and I struck a deal that she can re-consider CCA in P2, but only if she wishes to join the CCA. Ashwini reminded me that CCA is only required from P3 onwards. She agreed that she will - however - continue going for Chinese Enrichment classes on Thursday afternoons (which she was also threatening to drop for reasons of unfamiliarity). I swiftly communicated through the comms book with her FT to give her some encouragement and guidance (something which her FT did carry out). Ashwini attended the first session gingerly and was happy that it was fun. She met other non-Chinese students who were there to learn how to speak some basic Mandarin and the experience lost its sense of mystery.

I was proud of her. She knew her rights and in her little way had put me in my place. This is the life lesson I am currently experiencing - and I hope I learn from it quickly (and yes - perfectly). LOL again!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Mini - glad to find another perfectionist mother :) We rock!!! Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha. It's been one year now. Guess what? Ashwini has dropped Bharatanatyam. It was my idea to get her enrolled and she's bored by the drills. So here's the thing: she'll re-consider it later and only pursue it if SHE is interested.

    She is now considering her CCA option (triggered by my question, of course). She's firmly told me that it would be ROBOTICS (God help me!) and nothing else. I told myself that she's different from me. Her natural curiosity with how things work should make this an amazingly apt CCA option. And the best part is: she made a clear choice! WOW, I could not do that at P2... Yes, let the child walk her path!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK people. The latest update is that Ashwini is in Brownies. And that is a long story cut short :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashwini is in Art Club, specially selected after trials by the Art teacher. kept this talent under wraps till P6! Well, hahaha. Happy for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashwini is in Art Club, specially selected after trials by the Art teacher. kept this talent under wraps till P6! Well, hahaha. Happy for her.

    ReplyDelete

About My Little Family

I have three beautiful children who mean the world to me - Ashwini (13), Mira (11) and Dev (5).

Ashwini is an amazing gal. She is a 'thinker' - through and through. She started talking and walking early - before she turned one. She has an impressive vocabulary and is very observant, has a great sense of spatial awareness (she's a walking compass and rarely gets lost) and has a rational way of looking at things (even what she watches on the TV). She showers me with so much love that it makes me feel guilty for not being with her enough. (I wish she could shower her sister with half of that affection she bestows on me. But with sibling rivalry as an unavoidable reality at five years of age, that's asking for the world.)

Ashwini is a busy child with an assortment of learning to juggle - swimming, gym, speech & drama and Tamil language. She has just given up piano and is considering Bharatanatyam (I'm not sure if she's going to take to that but if she does, we'll need to make let something else go 'cos it's the parents who cannot cope!) Of these, she loves speech & drama the most, followed by gym and swimming. Like all other children, she prefers less structure and would rather play at the pool than learn from an instructor! No guesses for what she rather not do:)

Mira is another bundle of joy who arrived in 2005 and I really wanted my second one to bring that extra to the family - the sense of completion - and companionship for Ashwini. And we could never have been more prepared. Armed with an independent spirit, charm and intelligence (as well as a slippery presence) as her arsenal, she has gotten into and out of trouble with sweet innocence. Our and Ashwini's life is indeed more complete - with all her little contributions to life - from stokng the fire to playing with fire and extinguishing the fire. Mira is one highly provocative, communicative and relational child. Mira's first learning will involve swimming, i.e., starting with getting to know water. The rest will be underway.

Dev, (Hari Dev as he is officially named), is the latest addition to the family. A milk guzzler, he's adorable and fun to get to know :) He loves singing and it does not matter what language it is - English, Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi and Chinese. He will pronounce sounds the way he 'hears' them but the tunes will be discernible. It's time he gets some vocal training, and yes, some swimming too cos he believes he can swim!

Mum & Dad's Big Day

Mum & Dad's Big Day
Wedding at Shivagiri 26 October 1966

My mum's family

My mum's family
Growing up in Vettoor, Varkala

About My Extended Family

Extended Family:



Most of my first extended family are in India.



My mother, Jija Bhai, is one of two daughters and one of eight children (yes, she has six brothers!) born to the late Madhavan and Lecthimy in Varkala, Kerala (S.India). The names of their children are in this order: (1)Balaji (passed on), (2)Rajaji, (3)Lalaji, (4)Rajan Babu (passed on), (5)Jija Bhai, (6)Anandha Bhai, (7)Sasi (works in Abu Dhabi) and (8)Chandran. All of my mother's siblings are married with families who in a general way of speaking, are still living in India. And I have many, many cousins whose names I hope to spell out in a family tree one day. I heard from Mummy that it was my second uncle, known as Manian Maaman who gave me my name.



My late father, Sathiya Sidhan (or Sathyaseelan as he was named; one of those things about inaccurate records), was the eldest of TEN children of Damodharan and Bhageerathy. Two of his brothers are in Singapore - Sambhasivan and Susheelan - married with two children each. The rest of his family are in India with the exception of my grandparents who have passed on.



My current extended family are all n Singapore.



My sister, Shanthi, is married to Murali who is an editor. Tara and Raul are their children and share a special bond with Ashwini and Mira. Tara and Ashwini are almost like sisters, having spent their early childhood in my mother's home when my sister and I were working in the day. Leena married Rajendran. They are the favourite Kukumma (oops! Elaiamma as Leena insists that she be termed) and Uncle of the all our children. There's some magic in the air each time they come by, and we are just happy to receive them.